About Boston's Knit Out & Crochet 2004
The Boston Knit Out & Crochet 2004 is a FREE event where people interested in knitting, crochet, or spinning—whether they're just curious to find out about those crafts or are long-time crafters—can get together, get inspired, and learn.
People from Boston and all over New England come to the Boston event. The previous Boston Knit Out, in 2002, was attended by more than 1,000 people.
The Boston Knit Out & Crochet 2004 will take place Sunday, September 12, 2004, from 12:00 to 4:00 p.m. on the Boston Common (rain or shine).
Going to the Knit Out is a chance to
Activities will include:
- learn more about knitting and crochet if you're new to the craft;
- take a free lesson if you've never tried it—or if you used to knit and want to try again;
- see yarns and completed projects that will inspire you;
- learn a new technique or two; and
- meet other knitters, crocheters, spinners, shop owners, and members of local craft guilds or community groups.
The Knit-Out idea was started by the Craft Yarn Council of America. Knit-Outs take place in September and October all around the U.S. This year there will be Knit Outs in New York City; Washington, D.C.; Portland, Ore.; Dallas; Philadelphia, and other cities. There’s more information about all the Knit-Outs is here.
- exhibits by local yarn shops.
- a preview of new fall yarns.
- a fashion show.
- show and share.
- lessons in knitting and crochet for people new to the craft.
- knitting and crochet lessons for kids.
- technique demonstrations in knitting and crochet.
- spinning demonstrations.
- speed knitting and crochet contests.
- musical performances by Wren Ross.
- a drop-off point for charity knitting.
- door prizes.
This year's Boston Knit-Out was organized by members of local knitting groups and yarn shop owners, all of whom volunteered their time. The cost of putting on the Boston Knit-Out is covered via sponsorships from local yarn and craft companies. (See a list of sponsors.) The sale of Knit Out Tshirts and tote bags also supports the event.
Please note: There will be no yarn or knitting/crochet supplies for sale at the Knit-Out. This event is meant to be an opportunity to learn about fiber arts in a noncommercial setting. But you will be able to chat with local store owners and learn about what they offer.